Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Block 51: A Look Forward
Wednesday, 17 October 2012 from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM (PDT)
Vancouver, British Columbia
Every block in downtown Vancouver has an associated number. The block bounded by Robson, Howe, Hornby and Georgia is known as Block 51. Two important consultations are taking place on this block: 800-block Robson Street and the Vancouver Art Gallery North Plaza.
Join us for the second of two public events to explore the importance of this block over the last couple of years and draw inspiration from other cities. This event will feature the following short presentations:
- Civic historian John Atkin will tell the history of the VAG North Plaza
- Lon LaClaire, the Manager of Strategic Transportation at the City of Vancouver will talk about how this area was the central hub for the 2010 Winter Games celebrations
- Jenniffer Sheel and Krisztina Kassay from Viva Vancouver will share whaty they have learned as they transformed 800 Robson into a pedestrian space over the last few summers
- Heather Forbes from the Vancouver Public Space Network will discuss how the overwhelming majority of entries to their “Where’s the Square?” design competition selected Block 51 as the heart of Vancouver
- Matthew Blackett from Spacing Magazine will give an overview of innovative public spaces from other cities to be used as inspiration
- Pop Rocks designers Matthew Soules, Joe Dahmen, and Amber Frid Jimenez will share their experiences working with 800 Robson and provide some thoughts for the future
This event will end with an illustrated brainstorming exercise, facilitated by Stanley King, that will collect ideas on what type of future uses are desired for 800 Robson and the VAG North Plaza. These images will form the basis of an online survey that will be posted after the events. Results will be included in the staff report to Council on 800 Robson and will be given to the designer for the VAG North Plaza.
Local inter/multi-disciplinary artist Vanessa Richards will host. This event is free but as space is limited please RSVP.
This event is presented in partnership with the Art Gallery of Vancouver, Spacing Magazine and the Vancouver Public Space Network.
Join in the twitter conversation #Block51
Based on the success of the seasonal transformation of 800-block Robson into a pedestrian plaza, Council has decided to close this block to vehicle traffic until the end of 2012. They have asked City staff to investigate the public’s interest in using the space as a permanent pedestrian plaza.
The North Plaza of the Art Gallery is also undergoing redevelopment to fix the waterproofing of the underground spaces of the art gallery.
To learn more about this initiative, please visit our website.
(Note: The future of the Vancouver Art Gallery will not be a part of the discussion).